Wednesday, December 29, 2004

We Cook Slow, Live With It



After a shopping spree at the WTC bazaar, Val and I decided to try out Fat Michael's. I have read so many good reviews about the place. Fortunately, Val had their contact number stored in her cellphone. She called them up to ask for directions. The guy who answered our call said that we should turn right at SLEX and just go straight until we see Makati View Apartelle. Well, we didn't follow his directions, and made up our own direction. So it took us around 30 minutes to locate the place.

Fat Michael's is a very small and cozy place, with beads, shawls and Bohemian lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I am guessing that the place was a small 2 storey house converted into a quaint bistro. Below is a caricature of Fat Michael's, as shown on their menu's cover:


We were seated near the kitchen, where we could smell all the wonderful smells of food being prepared. We ordered fries, spicy lamb kebabs and scampi pasta. The spicy lamb kebab was soooo good! I'm not fond of kebabs, as they always come out dry and unappetizing. But Fat Michael's version of kebabs (at least for the spicy lamb) was moist and flavorful. It went well with the saffron rice.


The scampi pasta was okay, although I would have liked it better if it had more stewed tomatoes in it.


But the grand finale for me was the dessert -- coffee chocolate cake. Four layers of chocolate cake sandwiched between layers of coffee mousse, topped with chocolate glaze and served with whipped cream on the side. I don't know if it's because I have been craving for chocolate lately, but I couldn't get enough of the chocolate glaze! I want to thank Val for letting me have most of the cake, which took me all of 30 minutes to finish. Was really savoring every bite. =)


Val peeked in the kitchen and saw a list of blacklisted customers. Reasons include -- lying (maybe the guests lied about their reservations?), overstaying (we left immediately after paying the bill). We noticed that the pieces of furniture were intentionally mismatched, and most of the plates were chipped, which only added to the coziness and quaintness of the place.

Nice place to hang out. Quite pricey @ P375 per head, but understandable, since the lamb kebabs is a pricey item. Will definitely go back IF I happen to be in Makati. But will not travel all the way from Manila or QC just to eat there. Also want to get to know the owner and find out who Fat Michael really is.

You can read some comments about Fat Michael's here, andhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment