Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Political Angst

What's worse than a corrupt politician?

It's a corrupt politician trying to pass himself off as a saint, that's what.

I wanted to smash our beloved 10++ years old tv set after I watched Chavit Singson being interviewed on the local news. His ending statement went something like this -- If Mrs. Arroyo allows Erap to leave the country, I will withdraw my support to her government. I have no choice but to follow the will of the people. (This isn't verbatim, of course.)

(Gasp!) Follow the will of the people?!?!? Protect my interests is more like it. Ehem, ehem... Mr. Singson, let me write down a few reasons why I find your statement so heart wrenching (because it is really wrenching my heart).

First off, being the "star witness" to a jueteng expose does not mean you are innocent. Mr. Singson, you seem to forget that the very reason why you were so privy with Erap's jueteng activities was because you belonged to Erap's inner circle of jueteng friends.

Second, from what I understand, a "star witness" is a witness the government protects for safety reasons.
    And boy, does the gov't really know how to protect you!!
  • You have a sprawling mansion in Ilocos Sur, and no one questions where you got the fund to build it.
  • You blatantly announced during the recent May elections that anyone who wishes to campaign in your area needs to go through you in order to assure that their votes (ballots) will be protected. Still, no one bothered to question your threatening words.
  • Don't even get me started on your hotel in Ilocos.


And now, just because the government displeased you by allowing Erap to leave for HK, you threaten to stage an uprising? Expecting the government to kowtow to your every political whim is one thing. But announcing to the world that you are doing this for the people is pure crap.

It's the little boy, threatening to throw a fit because mommy allowed kuya to play outside, all the while saying that he's doing this for mommy's good. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment