Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Road Not Taken





I recently found out that some of my batchmates had formed a group to put up a restaurant called "Stir Crazy." Nice concept -- they stir fry the food right in front of you, so the food is served fresh, hot and fast.

This made me think -- what in the world am I doing with my life? My batchmates are putting up businesses here and there. And me? Heck, I can't even decide what I want to be. And I'm already in my mid 20s. Okay... late mid 20s. In the years after I graduated from college, I had pursued my interests in the following fields:

1. career as a chef
2. career as an interior designer
3. career as a wedding organizer
4. career as a professional florist
5. career as a wedding cake maker
6. career as a caterer

And those that I had seriously thought about but never pursued?

1. career as a lawyer
2. career as a doctor
3. career as a writer
4. career as a fashion designer (for clothes, jewelry and bags)
5. career as a website designer.

And the latest? Career as a photographer / graphic artist.

Wow. My mom would have been so proud of me if I had really done all of these.

I have great respect for people, who at age 22, know what they want to do with their life. It takes a lot of focus and committment to decide at such a young age which road one really wants to take. And it takes even more willpower to decide to stick to that road, especially when things aren't going as planned. My mom never fails to give us this lecture -- Start a business now, while we are still here. We can give you business advice. And if things don't turn out well, we are still here to support you financially. If you don't start now while you are still in your 20s, it will be harder for you to start when you're already in your 30s.

And I so agree. The 20s is when most of us have no one to think of but ourselves. No family to support. But the 30s is a different level -- it's when most people are adjusting to a new way of life. And with change comes uncertainty. I know a lot of people who stick to their current jobs because the salary they get is a "sure thing." Never mind that they hate what they're doing and would rather be somewhere else than stuck in their monochromatic cubicles.

So, since I'm just a few lightyears away from the 30s, maybe it's high time I take the risk and join the entrepreneurs' bandwagon. And see where that road will take me. I don't want to look back at the end of this year, and regret all those opportunities I could have taken but didn't. Will make sure to include that in my (short) list of new year resolutions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Just make sure you do what you enjoy, since when you enjoy something, you're willing to put the work in it, and therefore it's more likely to become a success.

    ReplyDelete