Saturday, January 15, 2005

Raise Your Voice

I normally do not go for teen chick flicks. Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Byrnes.... I see their names on the movie posters and I think -- shallow. The only reason why I wanted to see this movie is because Richmond told me that he got teary eyed over it. Whoa! It takes A LOT to get my brother to be teary eyed over anything. So, armed with my new faux leather tissue holder and two movie passes to Ayala cinemas, Mike and I watched it to see what the fuss was all about.

I do not know if it was because of the storyline, or because of my PMS-y state, or because of my cry-over-everything nature, but I found myself getting teary eyed during the first ten minutes of the movie. The movie starts off showing the closeness Teri (played by Hilary Duff) shares with her brother Paul (played by Jason Ritter), but Paul dies in a car accident on the night of his graduation. Yes, all these in ten minutes. Movies which center on family issues have a soft spot in my brother's heart. So that's probably what triggered the tears.

The movie's tagline (according to this Yahoo site) -- Don't hold back. Don't give up.

Another wonderful line in the movie -- "Some people hold on, when they need to let go." Or something like that.

Fine, fine. The lines are cliche. But I'm currently at that point in my life where I'm contemplating about my life's goals and what's holding me back. So there.

I won't say that this is a fabulous movie, but it wasn't so bad either. The acting was good, and the plot didn't bore me. This movie had me in tears for 25% of the time because of the sibling's closeness aspect. (I was looking around the theater to check if there were other "softies" with tears rolling down their faces too -- there were none.) Other than that, it was so-so.

Ang cute ni Oliver James. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment