Monday, March 28, 2005

What NOT To Look For

In a salesman, that is.

I received an offer from Pacific Internet a few weeks ago, informing me about their P888/month unlimited surfing hours. It was actually a good promo -- I get a free printer if I sign up for a one year contract with them. Since I needed an internet connection in the office, I thought, what they hey, might as well take advantage of this good offer.

So I filled up an application form and faxed it back to them. And I waited. And waited. And waited. For around three weeks. Until I couldn't wait any longer. I asked our secretary to follow up the application. The person who answered wanted to speak with me. Our conversation went this way:

Pacific: Ma'm, nag-sign up po ba kayo for an unlimited internet account with us?
KT: Oo
Pacific: Ma'm, remind ko lang kayo na tie up kayo sa amin for one year. If you decide to terminate the subscription before the year is over, we will have to charge you for the remaining balance.
KT: Oo, okay lang. Nabasa ko naman sa terms and conditions niyo eh.
Pacific: Okay lang ho ma'm?
KT: Oo.
Pacific: Aside from that ma'm, parati hong busy yung line namin.
KT: Kelan ba busy? Kelan ba peak hours?
Pacific: Wala hong oras na pinipili eh. Basta parati lang siyang busy.
KT: Naku, ganon pala yon?
Pacific: Oo ma'm. Pero kung hindi kayo magsa-sign up, okay lang ho sa amin.

I was already exasperated with the person on the other line at this point. Okay lang sa amin na hindi kayo mag sign up? Eh teka, sa akin hindi okay yon ah! Poor Pacific Internet. Well, I came up with the following explanations why the person was discouraging me from subscribing to the unlimited account offer:

1. Pacific Internet is losing money with their P888/month + printer deal, so they're discouraging people from signing up.
2. I was fortunate enough to talk to a Pacific Internet employee, who was getting sick and tired of receiving customer's complaints about busy phone lines. So she discouraged me from signing up na lang.
3. The person on the other line hates her boss. So she discourages people from signing up so that her boss will be blamed for their department's poor performance.

Anyway, sayang. I really liked their promo pa naman.

No comments:

Post a Comment