Sunday, March 13, 2005

Traffic Jam

I don't know why they call a traffic mess "traffic jam." Jam brings good memories of breakfast, with sunlight streaming in the window while I'm enjoying a quiet morning with my bread, butter and strawberry jam. Traffic, on the other hand, brings up images of horns honking, long stretches of cars parked on the highways, and hours wasted on the road.

That was what I was thinking of, while caught in the horrendous traffic mess in the parking lot called Edsa. I had an appointment with my favorite salon today, and again, I underestimated the travel time. Well, a trip on a Saturday MORNING from Manila to Makati usually takes only 30 minutes. But this morning, it took me an hour! Fortunately, the salon owner was late too.

Had my hair done. Yada yada yada.

After two hours, I was refreshed and ready to face the road again, expecting lighter traffic since I was on my way home at an odd hour. But nooooo..... traffic in Edsa was crawling at a slow pace of 30-40 km/hour.

So, instead of spending the time inside my car rotting away for nothing, I decided to use the time to think. And my thought process came out like this --

I thought about the origin of the phrase "traffic jam." Hence, this blog.
I tried to figure out what was causing the traffic mess.
Probably the buses picking up passengers in the middle of the road.
Or the drivers who seem to be touring Edsa for the first time by driving at an irritatingly slow speed of 20 km/hour.
Ay naku, even the jeepneys on the streets, they stop for passengers getting off even when they're in the middle of a busy road.
Grrr! If not for the corruption in the government, drivers like them would not be able to get their licenses!
That's the problem with this government -- corruption!
Whatever happened to Carlos Garcia? Winston Garcia?
Why isn't the BIR running after them?
And why is the BIR asking to check our inventory records for 2002 to 2003? That's like two years ago!
And of course, the office accountant will have to look for the records pa.
Harhar! Good luck to her! Our office is so ugly.
We should renovate. But we're not that liquid. So renovation will take place next year. Even though it was scheduled this year. Nope, can't renovate this year because the first quarter is almost over, and we haven't reached 10% of our sales target yet.
If only top honcho didn't cancel my Thursday appointment with him while I was already standing outside his office.
Aaargh. That top honcho cancellation thing is only one of the depressing things that happened this week. Everything depressing seems to be happening this week. Checks bouncing. Blood sugars rising. Computers crashing. Sales falling. Someone leaving.

This, my dear readers, is what you call snowballing. So by the time I got home, I was ready to crawl under the sheets and sleep for a year. The Unkymood will stay for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment