Saturday, March 15, 2008

Ear Piercing

It's been 4 1/2 months since I first became a mom. And I still have to get used to all this motherly feelings that I've been feeling. Like, I have this urge to kill all insects I see flying around the room, for fear that they might lay their yucky body parts on Chloe. Yes, I am that protective of her. Every red spot, every little bump I see and feel on her body -- I question. I feel like I have to do something about it to make it go away. Take for instance the night I accidentally cut her thumb with a nailcutter, I kept kissing her thumb, hoping that my kisses alone would be enough to take the pain away. Of course it didn't. :) But still, I hope she knew it was unintentional, and mommy would do anything to make the pain go away.

So with this overprotectiveness in mind, imagine my fear of bringing Chloe to the pedia for her ear piercing. I was actually torn between piercing her ears now OR later. Piercing it now = getting it over and done with but of course, being so young, she'd be unprepared for the pain. Piercing it later (around 10 to 12 years old) would make her be able to handle the pain better, but she'd be more aware of it.

What the heck, let's get this over and done with.

When Dra. Teldy shot (because it really looks like a gun) the first ear, there was a brief moment of silence before our poor Chloe cried in pain. At that moment, I actually thought of scheduling the second shot another time. I was afraid Chloe wouldn't be able to take another horrible shot of pain on the earlobes. But that would only mean subjecting her to another painful session of drilling a hole in her earlobe. So again, it was back to the let's-get-this-over-and-done-with mindset. I held her hand as she had her earlobes pierced for the second time. I would've done anything to absorb the pain na lang for her. But that's impossible. I kept saying she looked very pretty, but of course, as a baby, being pretty meant NOTHING. I hurriedly said goodbye to the good doctor, and left Mike to settle the bill. We went outside where I breastfed her, for the first time, in public. Never mind the curious glances I was getting. What's important was that Chloe nurse ASAP so she can soothe herself.

So here you have it, Chloe in her first set of earrings. :)
Chloe with earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment