Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mean hives, a murdered tooth, and other common toddler issues

Chloe has been taking anti-histamines for two months now. Her hive outbreak, which started in May for reasons unknown to us, refuses to let up. Once she gets off her medicine even for just a day, the hives come back with a vengeance. Just look at this picture:



Doesn't it give you the itch just looking at them? I hate them. Whenever they appear on her body, I want to gouge them out with a knife. I imagine those histamines as furry creatures, positioning themselves under her skin and jumping up and down to irritate her skin.

What are these anti-histamines supposed to do exactly?

Well according to her pedia, the anti-histamines will just suppress the symptoms. They will not cure or treat, just suppress. In the hopes that after at least two weeks of taking anti-histamines, whatever it is that is causing the hives will be gone.

It's been TWO MONTHS, and the offending agent is still there!! Makes me wonder if it's anything in our surroundings that is causing it, like dust, dirt, our detergent... :(

We're visiting a pediatric allergologist tomorrow. I'm really crossing my fingers that she will be able to help. I can't imagine Chloe under anti-histamines forever.

**********

Two weeks ago, Chloe's one front tooth suddenly turned a light shade of gray. At first, we thought it was just a stain of some sort. But when it turned noticeably darker, we panicked and brought her to the dentist. Her first visit. Yeeeesh.. Mike and I are procrastinators. This dentist appointment has been under discussion for months now. It took a gray tooth to hurry up the decision process for us. :(

Now, before we brought her to the dentist, I already consulted with other parents about what the dentist is expected to do with a tooth decay. Just so I can be ready and not be all emotional. They (the other parents) said that Chloe is too young to undergo surgery, so most probably, the dentist will just wait for the decaying tooth to fall out on its own. Okay.... that I can handle.





So when the dentist saw her tooth, she said, "It's not tooth decay."

WHEW!! What a relief!

"It's a dead tooth."

Uh... what again?

"Did she hit her mouth on anything hard?"

Mentally counting the days, my eyes went wide as I realized that this tooth in question started to gray AFTER she fell on her face in Zara Rockwell, while I was happily browsing through the array of discounted clothes.

After the realization, I wanted to bonk myself on the head. :( I have this firm, firm stance kasi that Saturday is our family day. So I (note, not we) try as much as possible to not bring the yaya with us when we go out. IF we had brought the yaya along, maybe Chloe wouldn't have tripped. IF we had not gone to the stupid sale, maybe Chloe wouldn't have tripped. IF I had been holding her hand instead of mindlessly ogling the clothes, maybe Chloe wouldn't have tripped. IF we had applied ice pack on her mouth right then and there, maybe the tooth wouldn've have grayed. If, if, if... all these ifs lead to nowhere and yet, I cannot stop thinking them.

"E pano mo naman mape-prevent yun?!?" Liza asked.

I know... but still. :(

I'm relieved though, that it's just a dead tooth, nothing serious. The worst that can happen is that the tooth will turn darker and darker until it turns black. It's irreversible, but not painful. But the good news is, we can paint over it! :D But we will consider it only when Chloe understands and agrees to it, or it becomes too horrible to look at, whichever comes first.

**********

On a lighter note, Chloe is finally on her way to being potty trained! Uh wait, to clarify... she only pees and poops in the toilet when she's with me. But when she's with her yaya or with other people, she still continues to pee on the floor. Does anyone have any idea why this is so?

2 comments:

  1. Oh no... Was the fall very hard? Don't be hard on yourself. Things like these do happen. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sab. :( Usually when she trips, she just stands up again. Pero that time she cried really hard. And you know the floors, they're tiled pa. :(

    ReplyDelete