Thursday, June 03, 2010

Trust Issues

In the three years since we started hiring, we've had thirteen (13) maids work for us. Some, who stayed for less than a week, I didn't include in the count anymore.

When well meaning friends and relatives (and parents) noticed how often our maids would come and go, I would always receive the same advise - lower your standards. If the work they do is below my expectations, just turn a blind eye. If they pretend to not hear me when I talk to them, don't say anything, lest the maids get mad and decide to up and go. If they get food from our refrigerator without my permission, make a mental note of it but pretend not to notice. Just so the maids will stay.

By the time we were with our 7th hire, I decided to listen to the advise. Never mind that the pots and pans aren't clean, or that they go out of the house in the middle of the night for some lusty rendezvouz with their boyfriends. I was playing blind and dumb - something I do not like doing.

For several months after my decision, the length of time they spent here working SHORTENED, from months, to weeks, to days. Harharhar.

Our 11th maid refused to work because she said it was not part of the agreement with the agency. Because, you know, as a maid, she's not obliged to clean, wash the dishes and do the laundry. I never asked what she thought she was supposed to do as a maid. She left.

Our 12th maid, after 4 days of working for us, wanted to go on a day off and wanted to borrow money from me, even with her unpaid dues from the agency. But thanks to a good friend who told me to be firm with money issues, I didn't give her the amount she wanted. She left. (Thanks Joe!!)

Our 13th maid, currently working for us, did this:





My hubby and I operate an online store, and for pick ups, we ask buyers to pick up the items from our house and leave the payment in a sealed envelope.

As I was opening this envelope last night, I noticed how there were holes near the parts where the staple wires are (check out the three encircled parts in red). The size of the previous holes and current staple wires don't even match. Who would make it a point to carefully staple on the part where it was previously stapled? And why do dut?!?!

So my hunch is - our current maid did it. The money is untouched, but I'm pissed that she feels it's her right to open things that aren't hers.

I decided last night, to stop playing this dumb and blind game. It's not working anyway - they just seem to get worse and worse. I pay the agreed amount for their salary, so I should get what I expect from them.

So this Sunday, I am asking her to leave. Even with no replacement. And I have to say, I'm so looking forward to this Sunday. :)

4 comments:

  1. I feel for you, Cathy... It's really hard to get a good maid nowadays. Sometimes, when we turn a blind eye, they tend to get more abusive pa. It makes me realize that the only one we can really rely on taking care of our child and our home is just ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sab!

    It's really different when we're the ones doing everything. It's just that, we do need help, pero sana the people who will help will do their jobs properly, wag naman abuso. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I feel like my search for the right maid is similar to my single girlfriends' search for the right man. They come by very rarely, those good honest and trusted ones. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sab! Those are exactly my thoughts!! I don't know with other women, but I feel heartbroken whenever a maid leaves our house. I don't cry over them naman, I just feel sad. :D

    ReplyDelete